We were lucky enough to install a GivEnergy Solar + Battery system right before all of the energy price chaos ensued.
One of the reasons we were drawn to the GivEnergy system was a comprehensive API that I knew could become useful in the future with home automation, smart tariffs and the like. Thankfully Octopus are very forward-thinking in this regard too so I’ve been able to sign up for Octopus R&D Labs which will also interface with Tado, Solar Edge, nCube and many more.
One thing I have found clunky though is connecting my inverter to the Labs API so here are some simple steps!
- In R&D Labs go to DEVICES and click the add or + button
- Choose GivEnergy as the brand and give it a name (eg Inverter + Battery)
- Now you need to enter your GivEnergy username + Password and a device API Key obtained from the GivEnergy portal under Account settings + Manage Account Security
- Go to the dashboard and add device. You can add your “Solar” (Inverter) and then add your battery.
- To setup your smart Octopus tariff you then head to the device and hit the CONFIGURE button top right
- No choose to configure the device and accept the defaults or edit them if you please
Leave a Reply